7/9/11

Tengo Muchos Jalapeños (y Otras Verduras)!

In the month since I took my tomato plants out of the grow bed inside, the jalapeños' growth exploded. They've grown tall and have a profusion of flowers. As I've mentioned before, the I was surprised that the jalapeños flowered, due to the predominately blue light of the metal halide bulb. Such light is best for vegetative growth.

Last week I harvested the first fruit: they are about 3 inches long and very spicy! They made for a piquant corn chowder. I have 16 more that will be ready to harvest soon and at least another 15 buds and flowers.

3" Jalapeños on 7/05/2011
Jalapeños Ready for the Chowder

Meanwhile, the chard has re-grown tremendously...
...after I harvested it for the first time in mid-June. I think It's ready for another harvest!
Indoor system on 07/05/2011
I also have a cucumber and squash plant. I've kept them in the grow bed just as an experiment to see what happens. I figure they will get too big for the space, but I'll try to keep them compact and hope for some fruit anyway. As you can see, the cuke has number of buds already.

Squash (left) and Cucumber (right) on 07/05/2011
I also have a few heirloom tomato seedlings. This will also be an experiment to see if I can keep them small and get fruit.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Patrick,
    My name is Ben Anderson, I will be back in CT in September and will be starting an Aquaponics facility somewhere near Danbury CT. I would love to talk with you about expanding Aquaponics in New England. I read your paper and you hit on all the right topics. We started a pilot project in Louisville, KY. Alas team dynamics got in the way so I am returning to my home turf to start again, refocused and prepared to sacrifice. drop me an email if this goes through albatrossbuild@optonline.net

    ReplyDelete